Identity theft is when someone steals your identity over the internet, through break and enter, through stealing your mail or through RFID applications on their phone. Ways to stop it are:
* keeping your anti-virus software up to date
* only shop on secure web sites indicated by "http"
* do not put your date of birth on social sites such as skype and facebook
* change passwords regularly
* lock your letterbox or better still get all bank and financial statements sent to you online
* buy a surveillance system for your home
* protect your credit cards and passport with RFID blocking wallets